No Direction Home
Whenever a player makes a move, the GM may make a move. Generally this will be a soft move, driving the narrative or setting things up for later.
Whenever a player makes a move and fails (rolls a 6 or less) the player marks experience and the GM holds 1 against that character. The GM may immediately, or at any time thereafter, spend his hold, 1 for 1, to make a move against that character from his list, even a hard move.
The GM’s moves are:
- Announce off-screen badness.
- Announce future badness.
- Make them buy.
- Tell them the possible consequences and ask.
- Offer an opportunity, with or without a cost.
- Put someone in a spot.
- Trade harm for harm (as established) (usually but not always the result of fighting for your life)
- Separate them.
- Capture someone.
- Inflict harm (as established).
- Take away their stuff.
- Activate their stuff’s downside.
- Turn their move back on them.
- Make a threat move.